Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Getting closer to surgery #2

Monday was Halloween and of course we celebrated with a doctor's appointment. (Last week was the first week in 11 weeks that we didn't have a doctor's appointment.) Max dressed up as a, drum roll please, doctor. After all, doctors are our super heroes. He was so stinking cute. This time we went to see his pediatric surgeon for a final check up on his circumcision. No, it is not normal to have 4 appointments about a circumcision. It's not even normal to have one, but nothing is normal with my guy.

The great part was that I only had to go to the Texas Children's Cy-Fair location and not all the way to the medical center so it wasn't a huge production. I laughed as the nurse put us in an optometry room without a table. Seriously? Is the doctor going to examine him on the floor? I laughed even harder as I overheard the doctor asking the nurse what he was supposed to do in an optometry room. I feel sorry for these doctors some times. He drove all the way out to the Cy-Fair location, rearranged his schedule because he was preforming a major colon surgery in the afternoon in the medical center, and when he arrives he might as well have been seeing patients out of the cleaning closet because an optometry room has nothing, besides a sink, to help him with his appointment. He walked in just shaking his head and I said, "Happy Halloween!? You didn't know you were going to be an optometrist for the day, did you?"

The appointment proceeded with awkward, dad department conversation, that ended with me probably beet red and the doctor telling me everything was fine. He said that we won't need to see him again. So that's one doctor to check off of our list.

Yesterday, I saw an endocrinologist. I don't have Graves Disease, and more than likely my thyroid issues and heart palpitations are due to postpartum. Good news. I did more blood work and once the results are in, we will proceed from there.

Monday we go back to Texas Children's in the medical center for an echo cardiogram, and an appointment with the cardiology team. I have a feeling that Max will have surgery sooner rather than later. (For insurance purposes, this would be ideal) My feelings are based on him not finishing all of his feeds and his inability to increase the amount he eats. He looks really good, though, so I could be way off. Regardless, I've come to a beautiful place of peace about the next surgery. I had some rocky moments of crumbling with fear, but with increased prayer, peace has taken over.

Tuesday, Max has an appointment with Dr. Patel, his pediatrician. He'll start the RSV vaccination (5 shots at $3,000 a piece. Thank God for insurance) and receive his flu shot.

I'm starting to get back into running. Max can't control how his heart works, but I can.

1 comment: